Thursday, February 16, 2012

SMASH (2012, TV) Review - Veda Rains

Two weeks in, and I think I've found a new guilty pleasure in NBC's SMASH. I was first drawn to this drama/musical due to its subject matter: a behind-the-scenes look at making a Broadway musical-starting at the very beginning. I grew up on musicals and one of the first things I did when I went to NYC (for the first time) was go see Wicked. I love how much goes into live-action musicals-and how much those musicals can make you feel (well, unless the musical is pretty bad) so this subject matter piqued my interest.
The women vying for the lead in this particular musical are-Karen Cartwright (Katharine McPhee), a waitress with dreams of grandeur, and Ivy Lynn (Megan Hilty), a chorus girl who's put in her time. Both actresses do a good job with what they're given-in Hilty's case, it's a little more interesting. I was concerned the creators would make both girls very polarizing: incredibly good or devilishly bad, but I'm rooting for each character. However, I have to say, on the surface, at least, I'm somewhat disappointed with how stereotypical McPhee's character and her situation is (I think I've written this character a fair amount of times myself). Her parents are from the Midwest and want her to get married already, she constantly disappoints her patient boyfriend and she's green as can be. Thank goodness McPhee turns in a pleasant performance and the second episode shows promise of her character fleshing out. This is my only negative comment, I have to say, because I do really enjoy the writing on the show! All of the characters have a lot of promise and room to grow. It's good to see Anjelica Houston in such a meaty role-throw that drink in that bastard of an ex-husband's face again!
Sure, because this is a musical show, I could say you'll love it or you'll hate it, but I don't think I can. You really need to check out a couple of episodes before you judge. As for me, I'll keep watching to see what happens next.
P.S. They use original music (by the guys who brought you the musical adaptation of Hairspray!) as well as revised versions of current and classic hits!

No comments:

Post a Comment