Thursday, August 4, 2011

The end of Harry Potter?

Even if you've never read or watched any of the Harry Potter books, you've probably heard about the brave and intelligent boy wizard and his incredible friends and allies. I know that we can always go back and re-read the books and re-watch the movies, but I have to say that I'm feeling kind of a fantasy void in my life now that there are no more new movies or books that are coming out. I'm glad that J.K Rowling has started Pottermore, and though I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, I'm looking forward to it. This series is smart, scary, funny, and really well-written. Not to mention, it's one of the few series where the movies did justice to the books. *cough*I'mtalkingaboutyouTwilight *cough*.
It has been incredible to watch the actors grow up over the past 1o years. Don't get me started on that because then I'll just get into how Matthew Lewis aka Neville Longbottom has become quite the little hottie, even though I could sort of start to see that happen in the fourth movie...Back to the subject at hand, I was re-watching all of the films over the past couple of weeks and I had forgotten how truly wonderful they all were.
The worlds that J.K Rowling created in her books were brought to life in front of our eyes and what a job they did with that. Plus all of the actors were perfectly cast as their characters. For instance, I couldn't imagine anyone else, but the wonderfully talented Alan Rickman playing Severus Snape, or Umbridge being anyone but Imelda Staunton. Let's not forget the wonderful child actors who were so incredible throughout the entire series. Also, side note here, but thank God, all of them were British. When Steven Spielberg was attached to the project, he wanted to cast Frankie Muniz. *shudder*. I couldn't imagine anyone better to portray Harry than Daniel Radcliffe.
Plus, and I just have to say it, all of these actors have seemed to remain down-to-earth and incredibly humble in light of all of the fame that has been thrust upon them at such a young age. I find that very inspiring and refreshing since it seems like these days we hear more about people like Lindsay Lohan and other child actors who have been swallowed by the monster of fame...I'm getting off topic here though.
The point is, it's rare when a series of books aimed at kids can deal with such issues as racial cleansing, class oppression, and the loss of loved ones with as much grace as these books did. It's something that everyone can read even if you didn't grow up with them, and still find them engaging, funny, sweet, terrifying and utterly brilliant.
I really miss Harry Potter already and the last movie is still in the theatres. Thank God, I can always go back and re-read and re-watch the movies. Also, there is always the Wizarding World of Harry Potter which sounds like the most amazing place on Earth...Until I find something that can attempt to fill my HP void, I'm going to make myself a mug of Butterbeer and re-read the series again.

No comments:

Post a Comment